Sunday 16 June 2013

Makeup Starter Kit: Drugstore

My first steps into the world of make up were awkward...like really awkward. I had a sachet from a magazine with a little bit of what I thought was moisturizer in it...it wasn't, it was foundation and it was 3 shades to dark for my face. I saved this sachet for a special occasion thinking it was some miracle worker and the greatest thing to ever happen to me. I applied it to my cheeks only and then went out into the world...the boy I liked at the time looked at me with wide eyes and said "why is your face so orange?!" I. Was. Mortified.
I wish someone had of been there to guide me into the vast world of makeup and told me what I was doing wrong, or what products do. So here I am guiding you through a simple starter kit (everything being purchased from the drugstore), so you don't make the same horrible mistake I did!

Brushes!


Top to bottom: Elf Powder Brush, Maybelline Eye Liner Brush, Sinful Colours Shader Brush, ELF Kabooki

Starting off with brushes! While they aren't a necessity they do make applying your makeup a little easier. Here I have 4 brushes that would work while doing your entire face! A flat top brush for applying liquid foundation. A kabooki brush for applying all your powders, so setting powder, bronzer and blush. A blending brush for applying all your eye shadows and an eyeliner brush for gel liner, this one came free with the eye liner that I chose which was handy! Unless your planning on doing crazy things with your eye makeup I don't think you need more then 1 brush for them, even when i'm doing a smokey eye for a night out I still only use that single brush!

Tip: A kabooki can also be used for contouring the face, just squish the side together and the brush should fit perfectly in the hollows of your cheeks!



Face Products!


Left to Right: Maybelline Super Stay Concealer 24hour, Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation, Rimmel Stay Matte Powder, Jordana Blush Powder in Sunlit Bronze, Maybelline Mineral Power Blush in Soft Mauve

When it comes to face products I've narrowed it down to 5 basic products that are all great quality, quite cheap and are easy to find! Starting off with a foundation, while some people don't like to use foundation or might not need it, i've decided to include it for those who might want to even out the skin tone or cover any blemishes. The tip with foundation is to read the bottles! I know it can be quite overwhelming walking around the drugstore with so many choices, so my tip is to choose a brand that you like and read what all their foundations claim to do. Then see if you can colour match to your skin, apply a small amount of the foundation to the jaw line to see if it matches. Setting powders are another tricky product, if your like me and can never get the colour match right opt for a translucent one! Blushes and bronzers are a personal choice, choose colours that flatter your skin tone and colours that you like!

Tip: You don't always have to wear both blush and bronzer! If you not feeling one or the other skip it there are no rules for this!

Left to right: Covergirl Eye Enhancers in Country Woods, Maybelline Eye Studio in Blackest Black, Covergirl Lash Blast Volume Waterproof in Very Black. 

Eye shadows are completely optional, however the palette I have chosen to include is completely neutral and you pretty much can't go wrong when working with them. Sweeping any of these colours all over the lid looks amazing, even just using the lightest colour to highlight points on your face also looks great. Eye liner is another optional product but I just feel like owning one doesn't hurt! This one comes with its own little brush and is easy to apply for people who aren't so good with the whole eye liner thing like myself. Mascara is something that I wouldn't skip on buying, it can change your entire face and sometimes its all I wear when I can't be bothered applying my entire face!


So there you have my simple starter kit! Let me know if you want me to do one of these but using MAC products!

Elizabeth xx

No comments:

Post a Comment