Friday 28 June 2013

RiRi hearts Mac! Reviews & Swatches



Something you may not know about me is that i'm obsessed with Rihanna...like a lot. When I discovered that she was releasing a collection with Mac I was thrilled because I knew she would bring out some new lipsticks (something else I obsess over). The two lipsticks I purchased were RiRi Woo and Heaux, so here are my thoughts!



 RiRi Woo

The first lipstick I bought from the collaboration was Ri Ri Woo. The story behind this one is that Rihanna loved Ruby Woo so much that she wanted to create her own spin on it. Its a new formula, well at least its one i've never seen before called Retro Matte, and it means matte. Its almost hard to work with because it is so drying. RiRi Woo is a bit easier to work with then Heaux but i'll talk about that a bit later. Its a gorgeous classic red colour, which while it is stunning is something thats not new. You could easily find this colour in any other makeup brand for a way cheaper price, and unless you are a die hard Rihanna fan like myself I wouldn't cry about not being able to own it, its not great loss. I find that with a little bit of lip balm underneath and a good lip scrub before this lipstick will last all night and into the morning, it literally does not come off. Overall i'd say its more like a collectors edition then a necessary item for your collection, that is of course if you already own a classic red if not i'd recommend buying it!

RiRi Woo Retro Matte

Heaux


Heaux was my next purchase. Its a deeper red then RiRi Woo and has more of a berry tone to it. This one is a tad more unique then RiRi Woo and it is something that I don't have in my collection. However, this one feels a lot more matte then RiRi Woo and as you can see from the swatch  was quite difficult to apply straight from the bullet. I don't mind the matte finish to either of them, but when it effects the application thats when it begins to annoy me. I have to drag them across my lips which does not feel great and I am then left with an uneven finish. Also because of the matte texture to it, it clings to any slight lines or dry patches on your lips, the only way to avoid this is to apply a balm or a lip scrub prior to use. 

Heaux Retro Matte

I am impressed with the colours of both of these lipsticks, I am not impressed with the Retro Matte application and finish purely because it means that they are difficult to use. The only solution I have for this is to apply it on the back of your hand and mix it with a balm to make it a bit creamier then apply it to the lips with a brush to ensure a precise application. 

Overall I wouldn't suggest rushing to buy these if you are not prepared to take a lot of time applying them. These are not the kind of lipsticks that you can quickly apply on your way out the door or when transitioning your makeup from a day to night look while at work. They take time and practice to get them right but once you do get them right the lasting power is what makes them kind of worth it.

Let me know your thoughts on the RiRi hearts Mac Collaboration and your thoughts on the lipsticks!

Elizabeth xx

No comments:

Post a Comment