Friday 15 August 2014

What's In My Kit? - The Basics



I've just started a course to become a Makeup Artist and if theres one thing I've learnt in my time there its that everything surrounding kits and what you need can be really confusing. I'm trying to learn off all the other girls in the course before settling on exactly what I need, meaning that I don't have everything just yet. I pretty much just have the basics and am currently using all the makeup products that the academy supplies for us in the classrooms.


So what are the other bits that I need and how do I cart them around with me? Easy!

The Boring Bits


  • Baby Wipes - So handy for cleaning everything and anything
  • A Towel - You never know where you'll be working so a towel is a must to use under all your equipment
  • A Salon Cape - pretty self explanatory, you don't want to dirty the clients clothing so this just helps cover them up

The Brush Roll


You've all seen this so I wont go into it, but the brushes must be washed after every use for basic hygiene reasons!

The Disposables


This little kit is amazing, it houses all my disposables and my lash bits, I bought this from spotlight for around $8.99!


Top Row - Left To Right

  • Cotton Tips - Instead of using fingers I use these, for foundation swatches, for cleaning under the eye pretty much for everything
  • Cotton Pads - I use these for makeup removal
  • Plastic Bags - These are my bins for all my rubbish!
Middle Row- Left To Right
  • Disposable Lip Wands - Self explanatory 
  • Duo Glue + Tweezers + Safety Scissors = Eye lash application section!
  • Latex Sponges - Makeup application
Bottom Row- Left To Right
  • Disposable Mascara Wands - Self explanatory 
  • More Latex Sponges

The Basics Must Haves




All my bits that go onto my station I've put into this little pouch, it just makes things easy to grab from my bag



  • Tissues - I use these to dust off brushes or for quick brush cleansing 
  • HAND SANITISER!! - This is a must for makeup application, it prevents spreading germs and just makes your client feel more at ease knowing that you have clean hands!
  • Bioderma Crealine - For makeup removal (container from muji)
  • Moisturiser - For prepping the skin (container from muji)
  • Isocol Alcohol - For general cleaning and sanitising of brushes (container from muji)
  • Paw Paw - Lip preparation (container from muji)
  • Primer - Face preperation 

The Makeup Bits


This case is a Zuca Large pouch that i bought just to house all my extra makeup bits, it wasn't the cheapest but I know I'll use it for a long time

  • Makeup Puff
  • Eye Primer - Eye preparation
  • Bar Lashes
  • Mascara
  • Cake Eyeliner
  • Individual lashes
  • Brown/Black eye liner pencil
  • Spatula - to remove products from their original form (such as lipsticks)
  • Sharpener 
  • Lash Curlers 
  • Cake Eyeliner Sealant 
  • Palette - For putting product onto (like foundation, primer etc)
That is everything I carry around with me in my basic kit (excluding makeup products) If you have any other ways you like to store or keep all your bits when going on jobs let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment